Are you guys avoiding pybombs for a reason, or do you just not feel
comfortable with it? If you're aware of pybombs and have a reason for
avoiding it, then stop reading here.

Pybombs works really well on Ubuntu 14.04. I've installed UHD + GnuRadio on
multiple machines without a problem. Using it to install all dependencies
and UHD and GnuRadio is as simple as the following few lines of code:

1) cd to the directory of your choice
2) git clone https://github.com/pybombs/pybombs.git && cd pybombs
3) ./pybombs install gnuradio (this will install all dependencies needed
for gnuradio including uhd)
4) ./pybombs env (creates an environment variables file for you)
5) add this to your .bashrc or .bash_aliases file, whichever you use:
source /<path_to_step1_directory>/target/setup_env.sh
6) start her up: gnuradio-companion

That's all there is to it.

Hope that helps,
Rich