On 09/23/2015 02:07 PM, Dan CaJacob wrote:
I like keeping the algorithm logic in comments. I can't count how many times I have optimized something, overwriting the original readable code, then come back in a few months to discover I have no idea how it works anymore.
Months?  Weeks for me :)

https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Development#Contributing-to-GNU-Radio-FAQ

    > 1) My first question relates to documentation. Up to now, I've added
    > documentation into my XML files as <doc></doc> tags. To use
    Doxygen, am
    > I correct to put them in the public *.h file? Is this the only
    place it
    > should go, or should I add it to the XML as well? I've never
    been able
    > to get my documentation to propagate through to the GRC block
    without
    > putting it into the XML, is this a sign of a problem?

    You should only need to put your docs in the Doxygen block.

    > 2) If I understand the above link correctly, I should fork GNU
    Radio,
    > create a new branch which I might call Log_AGC, add my code to that
    > branch and then make a pull request. Am I misunderstanding anything?

    That's the way to go. See also
    http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Development

    > 3) As far as code style goes, should I avoid using
    >
    > #define DEBUG
    > #ifdef DEBUG
    > std::cout << "Debug stuff" << "\n";
    > #endif

    Absolutely. Please use the logging interface. See also
    http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_logger.html

    > statements to hide debug code? That is what I currently do but I
    know
    > it's not prevalent in the source.
    >
    > 4) I currently have an Optimize option in the GRC block which picks
    > between the way you would write the block if you just used
    standard C++
    > statements (not optimized) and if you use Volk (optimized). Using
    > control ports to compare the two, there is an improvement with
    volk. But
    > I like that someone looking into the block can see how not to do
    it and
    > then how to do it. Good for beginners jumping into GNU Radio.

    That's noble, but for core GNU Radio stuff it's probably best if you
    stick with the VOLK implementation.

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob