I had the same pip error.  It seemed to be related to a conflicting version
of requests.  I am running Ubuntu 15.10  to fix the problem, I uninstalled
my pip-installed pybombs and apt-installed python-pip.  I then installed
pip and requests via easy_install (generally don't go this route, but it
worked).  Then I was able to install pybombs via pip again and this time
build was completely successful.

Very Respectfully,

Dan CaJacob