Thanks. I only know enough about gnuradio to be dangerous right now, so I
wasn't sure if that was an intended way to modify block parameters. I
haven't been able to test most of that yet, initial variables have been the
same as what was being sent from a remote server, so if it didn't work, I
wouldn't notice. I may not be able to get around to it, but I was hoping to
convert as much of the code into C++ (easier for me to unit test it), so
would it be easier to change block parameters in C++? I can see that a hier
block made with gnuradio has functions generated to set the internal block
parameters, not sure if the same would happen if the hier block were made
in C++. Perhaps I should test that.

Unfortunately the code that sends the configuration is a scary mess that
I'd have to spend weeks refactoring, so right now I have a block that just
converts raw bytes sent over tcp back into the parameters. That might be
something I want to aim for, though.

Thanks again,
Sean

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM, <mle...@ripnet.com> wrote:

> If your flow-graph is GRC based, then any block parameters that can be
> changed at runtime can be tied to a variable.
>
> Once you have that, then you can use, for example, XMLRPC to set any
> variable in the flow-graph from the "outside world" (which includes
> "reflexive" setting from non-flowgraph python code).
>
> There's also controlport, which I have haven't played with.
>

> On 2016-12-20 11:38, Sean Horton wrote:
>
> What is the best way to change settings such as gain, taps, frequency
> values, etc of various blocks while running? The current setup I'm
> refactoring receives new configs over tcp, and a block outputs the new
> config values to probe signals, and those probe signals are used to change
> various settings. In the case of setting some usrp source parameters
> (center frequency), it appears to not properly work, so for the usrp sink
> and sources, I am going to pass messages to change the parameters. This
> isn't possible for other blocks, though, as they do not have message
> inputs.
>
> If I should stick with the current method, though, I'm really curious how
> there is mutual exclusion, as the values are being changed while the
> flowgraph is running. I have looked at the source code for some of the
> blocks I'm using, and I don't see any mutexes. This makes me think this
> isn't the best way to do what is being done.
>
> Thanks,
> Sean
>
> --
> Sean Horton