On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Rob Hasselbaum <r...@hasselbaum.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Rich Braun <ri...@pioneer.ci.net> wrote:
>

> I'm looking into this as well and considering CrashPlan. My understanding is
> that it's free if you can find someone to "peer" with (i.e. trade disk
> space). But they also have unlimited space plans if you back up to their
> servers. For 6 TB, hopefully you don't have any bandwidth caps. ;-)

I was just looking at their web site and the concept of a "seeded
backup" is mentioned.
You do an initial backup to local disk and then send it offsite.
It's not clear whether
this only works if you send the disk to them or if you can do this
when you are backing up to
a friend.  If this works with the free version of the software,
perhaps people on this list
could provide service to each other and exchange disks at meetings.
Actually, even if there software
doesn't work that way; we could still do that..

Bill Bogstad