On 03/08/2011 08:35 AM, Rich Braun wrote:
> There have been just too many failures of
> that particular lemon-y server ever since the Supermicro X7SBL-LN2 socket-775
> motherboard darkened my doorstep on 19-Jul-2008.  Damn thing eats hardware,
> and piecemeal updates of drives, power supply, RAM etc have done nothing to
> stabilize the thing.
I've got 5 Intel Whitebox with Supermicro X7DB8+ Mother Boards and 1
X6DH8 Rev 1.2. The X7DB8s were in use for several years in Toronto
before they were sent down here to Boston. I've had them up and running
for a few years here. I've had to replace 1 power supply (I think it was
DOA from Toronto). I've upgraded 4 of them to 64GB, 1 would not support
the 4GB memory sticks even with the ROM upgrade. 1 Unit does
occasionally turn off the network. But for their age they have been
working very well. We have a virtual server on order, but it has to be
configured in Toronto, so I'm not holding my breath. Other than the
memory issue on 1 and the NICs going to sleep on the other, these
systems have been pretty reliable. Most boot off an internal SATA but
have external SCSI ports. The older system (X6DH8) boots off of an
external SCSI, and the one with the sleepy NICs has a couple of jury
rigged SATA drives. I have not had a glitch on those.

--
Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix