On 3/18/2012 11:20 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
That's great, but my point was that if the machine is going to be
deployed as a mail or web server, those are the types of loads you want
to benchmark with.

True enough. But then, the typical mail or web server tends to see very spiky load patterns and it tends to be I/O-bound rather than CPU-bound. At that point you should look at seek times and IOPS and possibly I/O cache rather than CPU performance. You should also look at how your data is stored since that can have more of an impact on performance than the hardware.

--
Rich P.