On 3/28/2017 3:34 PM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
On March 28, 2017, Dan Ritter wrote:
1, 2 and 3 are all variations on 4 [eliminating the landline]
Oh god. Does this mean that fiber optic lines, when they replace
copper lines in the home, reduce the voice quality to that of a cell
phone? (If so, I'm screwed for life. I cannot make out 50% of cell
phone conversations, even with hearing aids.)

No, they don't degrade it to the quality of a cellular call, but they don't improve it nearly as much as they could, either. If you've ever had the pleasure of using ISDN telephone service, you'd be astonished at how far back in last last century "POTS" voice quality really is, and VZ is probably afraid that having ISDN quality on their FiOS offerings might cut into cellular sales, which are the most profitable part of the parent company's earnings.

I'm checking on Vonage. (But Vonage has other difficulties, like the fact that the phone lines are in the basement and the FIOS router is on the third floor, so I'd have to hire an electrician to run cables to the Vonage box, and then bring in the alarm company to hook up their stuff.)

Well, you didn't hear this from me, but if the wire in the cellar was cut, you could simply run a telephone extension cord from the Vonage box to one of the jacks in your apartment and it would "backfeed" the other jacks. If the alarm company uses the phone line to signal an alarm, then the alarm would work too. Mum's the word. ;-)

Bill Horne