On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 01:52 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> Also Libre come from FLOSS, most people know and pronounce
> Free/Libre/Open Source Software with no issue including americans.

Most people have never heard of FLOSS, don't know what it means, and
don't care. But I don't think that's relevant here.

To whoever in this thread said, "And there you have the problem: You
have to explain it. Good marketing requires that you engage with
customers' existing understanding and expectations." : I don't see why
anyone needs to explain the name (unlike OpenOffice.org, which looks
like a URL). Good marketing can make a name memorable even if it's
totally outside customers' expectations. Does anyone have to explain
what "Firefox" means? Other than to say "it's a web browser"? Does it
mean anything? Who cares? How about "Ubuntu"? Yes, it has a meaning, and
some people wonder and we tell them and they say "cool" and that's that.

> Libre means Free from freedom, so there is really a more exact cognotaion
> since Open Source vs Free Software, LibreOffice get us back to freedom and
> not just being open.

I agree totally. In those cases where we might have to explain the name,
we say "Libre means Free". What's the big deal? It's a good name. Not as
catchy as Firefox or Ubuntu, but a good name.

--Jean