On 2010-10-08 3:23 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Per Eriksson wrote:
>> Do we have skilled people here who are interested in beginning
>> with this effort, and maybe start planning for this feature?
>>
>> I've always been interested in pushing things like this forward
>> ;-)

> let me Cc two MSI packaging experts to comment on patchability
> experiences.

Thanks... :)

> Regarding Linux - I skipped most of the discussion, but really - you
> do *not* want to bypass the distro update mechanism. You really
> don't. It's duplicating effort, will likely not result in any better
> user experience - and, conversely, will annoy distro people, while we
> actually want to encourage them to actively participate in LibO
> development.

While I agree totally as far as packages installed by the distro's
package management system, you (and others) seem to be forgetting two
things:

1. it would be the package maintainers responsibility to disable the
native auto-updater, thus preventing the user from accessing the native
auto-updater in the first place, and

2. one use case that may occur more often than you think - those power
users that install from source, thus totally bypassing their package
management system.

Inmho, #2 should be the deciding factor. If a user does this, then the
native updater should be enabled by default (but could be disabled by
the user with a compile time switch).

--

Best regards,

Charles