On 2010-10-08 11:35 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> users installing from source don't need no update management at all
> - they can just "git pull" & rebuild. Especially on Linux, this
> gives you bleeding edge LibO everytime you like - e.g.:

Well... different users have different skill levels, but yeah, I mostly
agree...

> (that's one of the true killer features of Linux - you get the whole
> build system & tools with just a simple apt-get build-dep
> openoffice.org & can have a go - on win32, you install msvc & stuff
> all day long)

Not to pick nits, but you're not talking about 'Linux', you're talking
about Debian... there are other distros you know... ;)

In gentoo I know you can have an ebuild that pulls the latest HEAD from
whatever repo (or just mirror it locally so you'll always be up to date)
and emerge away, but I don't need anything quite that bleeding edge.

--

Best regards,

Charles