On 2010-10-20 1:51 PM, Harold Fuchs wrote:
> Charles Marcus wrote:
>> I'm sorry, but I don't have any sympathy with someone who wants free
>> help, but isn't willing to do the bare minimum of subscribing to an
>> email list in order to get it.

> Errm. It's not just the subscribing. In addition that poor user who only
> wants one question answered is going to get several hundred messages per
> month. Here are the stats for this year:

<snip>

You didn't say which list - but again, my advice is to create micro
lists - a separate one for Writer, Calc, etc - to minimize that problem...

Also, I'll repeat the call for a Support Web Page that not only has easy
methods to subscribe to the desired list, but

> Why not let people post questions [to the users@ list or to the
> forum, I don't care] via a button on the LibO toolbar, with responses
> [or a message containing a link to a response] to that question
> *only* by e-mail to the user's nominated address?

I have a better idea...

Build a web page that allows the user to submit questions. It has a
place to enter their email address where they expect replies, simple
checkboxes to target the question (My question is about working with: [
]Text documents  [ ]Spreadsheets ... [ ]The Document Foundation, etc.),
and a text box for their question.

Questions submitted this way are then *automatically* submitted to the
appropriate list, and the Reply-To header for the email is set to both
the list ND the OP.

However it is to be done, I just cannot believe that in this day and age
of automation that these email lists require massive amounts of manual
intervention. There has got to be a better way.

--

Best regards,

Charles

--