Hi Ian!

Am Sonntag, den 14.11.2010, 17:34 +0000 schrieb Ian Lynch:
> > Concerning the dialog - yes, it might help. But if an "Apply" button
> > gets added, then - in perceived 99% of all cases - the dialog will
> just > hide the object that gets transformed.
>
> Just move the dialogue to the side of the screen. Inkscape seems to
> manage
> this situation well enough. With hi-res screens there is normally
> plenty of
> space.

>From my point-of-view, this is different. Inkscape is a graphic tool
that is used by experienced designers. We may assume that those guys do
have better hardware (e.g. larger screens). And, Inkscape does have
another concept with docked panes ...

We - in contrast - develop an office suite that also targets other
"markets" like developing countries. Although the minimum system
requirements state "1024x768", the design for OOo still targets netbook
resolutions. If there would have been more space, I would have designed
the new printing dialog differently :-)

> > So people are fighting against
> > the dialog window :-)
>
> Dialogues associated with objects works well for me, you can always
> not call it up if yo don't want to use it.

What I read here is "just move it aside", "you can always not call it
up". This - so my understanding - just creates more manual effort for
the users (moving, clicking, calling, closing), although a simple
feature like that should "just work". And "just works" starts with
moving with cursor keys or mouse dragging.

Cheers,
Christoph