Hi Cristoph

the tango icon theme set is pretty complete, heres their basic icon set

http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library

In my opinion, this icon set has greater appeal to the eye, its polished.
Its also in the public domain and its developed for open source software.
This would be an easy way to improve the aesthetics of the overall
application, provide a new fresh look, and support other open source
projects.