Hello Michael,

Le Tue, 07 Dec 2010 11:59:07 +0000,
Michael Meeks <michael.me...@novell.com> a écrit :

> Hi Charles,
>
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 11:08 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> > Last call: are we good on this?
>
>       Sigh; I only just got to reading the final draft, busy day
> yesterday. Overall it seems to be excellent, I have a few
> un-addressed concerns:
>
>       Members are expected to refrain from any kind of expression of
>       racism, xenophobia, sexism and religious or political
>       intolerance.
>
>       This sounds like a vow of chastity :-) It appears to apply to
> the whole of life, and not just to engagement with TDF etc. As such
> is is somewhat offensive, and in itself an oxymoron: "I can't
> tolerate your intolerance" ;-). Many communities have people with
> strong, colorful and opposing views expressed in strong terms. This
> to me is a sign of health and diversity - instead of some bland
> pea-soup of non-expression :-)
>
>       I'd like to excise that; though clearly we need some minimal
> good behaviour policy I don't believe it belongs here. I rather prefer
> relying on the much more helpful text in the "Revocation of
> membership" section, that talks about ad-hominem, attacks, abuse,
> insulting, etc. - sounds like a much more sensible line that is
> supportable :-)
>
>       Every membership applicant must have been active for at least
>       three (3) months, and should make a moral commitment to at
> least six (6) months activity (not counting the first three (3) months
>       of fulfillment of qualification).
>
>       Again - this moral commitment to future work is a problem for
> people that take their commitments seriously. I can't commit to work
> on LibreOffice for six months: anything could happen - I might be
> incapacitated, die suddenly, loose my mind (arguably this has already
> happened) :-) IMHO the "future commitment" is sufficiently built on an
> (already over-long) three month history with the project - I would
> like to see that removed.
>
>       Continuity of membership section.
>
>       This is much improved, I like the renewal process, makes a
> lot of sense.
>
>       Anyhow - otherwise, I am completely behind this, it seems
> rather polished now, and the checks and balances seem more than
> adequate.
>
>       With the removal of one paragraph, and the end of that 'moral
> commitment' sentence I'm 100% behind this.

So I didn't write the first paragraph, and I believe it is of no
consequence at all; as for the moral commitment I'm the one who added
the term "moral".  It might have been me using a french expression more
than anything. By adding "moral" I was emphasizing that it wasn't
"legal", meaning: you can commit "in spirit", but it's not a
fundamental problem affecting your membership if you don't. Remember
that non-members can contribute patches, submit bug reports, etc. If
you want to become a member it's gotta be for a reason :-)

Is this something that clarifies the sentence ?

best,
Charles.

--
Charles-H. Schulz