On 2 Jan 2011 at 9:59, Craig A. Eddy wrote:

> I also agree that ANY write-to docx should be an add-on, and not part of
> the vanilla release.

Hi Craig,

I have a concern about the Addons.  In my 10+ years of using
OpenOffice/StarOffice, the
inclusion of addons was a great idea.  However, the marketing of addons was not
so good -
hidden away in a place that you can find once, but not so easily find again.

Could addons be clearly signposted on the main page?

Could first-time users be taken to the addons page, so they know functionality
can be
extended?

Could addons be clearly posted in the menus?

Could the frequency of downloading addons be counted and a pack of the most
popular
ones be compiled?  Could the most-frequent-addons pack even be an optional
extra
included with the download?

There could even be the 'vanilla' install and the 'bumper-pack' install.

Last summer, as part of the MSO to OOo migration, I hacked a batch file to
install OOo with
various settings and then various addons I had chosen (why was 'clipart' an
addon, I
wonder?).  Simplifying this for downloaders wil help - I know several people
who think OOo
is not very good, because it has no clipart.  Personally, I don't care about
clipart but it's all
down to user perceptions!

zf