Hi David,
On 08/01/2011 17:54, David Nelson wrote:
Hi Sophie, :-)

Truthfully, your interpretation of what that text refers to is
erroneous... they are talking of screenshots of Microsoft products
such as MS Windows or Office, but *not* of screenshots taken of other
people's products and works simply running under MS Windows... There's
no need to worry. You see screenshots of software running under
Windows *all over the Internet*... ;-) We're perfectly safe. ;-)

No, it's not my interpretation (I know I may not have a full understanding of another language :), we never get a firm statement but only different interpretations from lawyers, this is why we have decided to not use screen shots made using Windows. I can't remember where the discussions occurs on the OOo site, maybe website list, I'll point you to the archives otherwise.

It may sound stupid, but can you imagine that I had to declare people using ssh for the OOoFR site in France several years ago because the encryption we used was not allowed and considered as a security issue. I'm sure the Debian contributors never have to do so. Just to say that we have to be cautious.

In any case, I already took a large number of screenshots, and our
documentation is *full* of screenshots taken under Windows, so this
would involve an *enormous* amount of work to rectify...... ;-)

Yes may be, but it's not a sufficient reason to continue to take the risk :). The more we are visible and known, the more we are exposed.

Kind regards
Sophie