2011/3/27 Stefan Weigel <stefan.wei...@bildungskreis.org>

> Hi,
>
> Am 27.03.2011 08:22, schrieb Samphan Raruenrom:
>
> > I found this page
> >
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
> > that link to Google translate to provide the (official?) pronouncement.
>
> I don´t think, that this is "official" in sense of approved by TDF
> or the TDF community.
>
> > http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LibreOffice
>
> This sounds odd to me, personally.
>
> The following sounds almost like the one I am used to:
> http://translate.google.com/#fr|en|LiebreOffice
>
> > I'm quite surprised with it. I thought it is ˈlɪbə as in "liberty"
> > orlbr as in http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vers+libre
> > So actually it is ˈliːbreɪ as in
> > http://es.thefreedictionary.com/libre , right?
>
> Yes, I would agree.
>
> > It would be nice if someone could provide an official pronouncement
> > sound file on the LibreOffice website (and phonetic, for the
> > literate).
>
> I am not sure, if there is really a need for an official
> pronunciation. This is a free project. Every participant is free to
> pronounce it the way she/he likes. For me, there is nothing wrong
> with different pronunciation by people with different native tongue.
>
> IMO,
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/how-do-you-pronounce-libreoffice/
> should be changed, in order to express that ther is no wrong or right.
>
> :-)
>
> Stefan

I'm with Stefan here ; pronunciation of the term «LibreOffice» should be
left to usage in the countries/regions concerned. I find the one suggested
(?) by Google Translate directly distasteful ; why should the great vowel
shift which occured in English from the late fifteenth century onwards be
imposed on all the countries which use variants of the Roman alphabet ?
Freedom to pronounce the term as suits us best ; isn't that an integral part
of LIBREOffice ?...

Henri