On Mar 18, 2011, at 16:41 , Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2011-03-18 10:18 AM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> Until Unity and/or GONME3 if I understand their changes correctly.  Each
>> open application is full screen and almost no way to get around it
>> currently.
>
> That is insane... I would not use any software or desktop environment
> that imposed such ludicrous and unfriendly conditions.

I agree with Charles that this is an idea that deserves to be killed - along
with its proposer - before it gets off the paper.

Tabs, yes, a good idea, and the ability to have separate windows in order to
compare two documents, yes, and ability to move a tab between them, yes.

However, just in case the Gnome3 idea becomes reality, would it be worth
considering the possibility of having two tabs open side by side (or over and
under) in the same window, rather the way I think it was Programmers File
Editor, PFE, did way back in the days when I was using it.  Admittedly there
may be a small loss of document area in each tab to allow for double rulers and
stuff, but on the hopefully few occasions one would need it, I think most
people could live with that.

//James