On Apr 22, 2011, at 13:55 , drew wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 10:52 +0200, James Wilde wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>  I've come to the conclusion that there is no way I can write the intended
>> message on the OOo list without breaching Bernhard's desire not to rile
>> former colleagues.
>
> <snip>
>

>> However, one thing I do think is extremely interesting is that no-one has
>> yet answered the OPs message on the list,
>
> Hi James,
>
> If I may - you intention for being connected to both projects I take it,
> is to support both projects, yes?

Actually, no, Drew.  I was a firm believer in OOo at one time, especially when
I was using linux for my workstation.  I became a bit dubious when Oracle
bought it, but continued using it.  I joined LibO when it started, but didn't
convert to using LibO until there was a stable version out.  It's just lethargy
that's stopped me from quitting the OOo lists.  Also, until recently, when the
threads started to diverge, there was a good deal of useful stuff in the OOo
user list.  You will remember furthermore that there was a low signal to noise
ratio in the LibO lists at the beginning.  ;)

> Then why not simply respond to him on the OpenOffice.org mail list and
> answer his question as asked - from the OpenOffice.org perspective?

I no longer have any interest in supporting OOo now that there is a genuinely
non-commercial alternative.  The reason I originally thought it would be a good
idea to contact the OP was not at all to do with any thought of competition
between different ODT offerings.  It was that the bigger the user base for the
product I use (and now support in a modest way with a bit of moderation) the
better the chances of financial support which will allow LibO developers to
keep on providing me with a fantastic piece of software.  That was also why I
jumped in on the side of those who wanted to actually do something about the EU
choosing Office without a cost-benefit analysis, but there again, there
appeared to be a lack of enthusiasm from those who carry weight.

//James