<snip>

I use LibO for writing, and produce ebooks from the output.

There are many ebook formats, as has already been pointed out by others, the
main two being mobi (Kindle) and epub (almost every other e-reader).  I am
active in a forum on ebooks, called mobileread.com.  I think I can say that the
majority of writers there use one of two methods for creating ebooks.  Either
they use a service called Smashwords, which takes MS Word documents and
produces about six different kinds of ebooks, including pdf, txt, rtf, which
most people don't count as ebook formats.  Or they use a program called
Calibre, which has its support forum on mobileread.com, and which takes odt
files as its preferred input.  These two methods I would call the professional
approach.

On the other hand, someone interested in converting some of their documents to
ebook (read epub) format for storage and use on their e-reader can make use of
an extension which has been available for some time for OOo.  I can't remember
how good this is, since it's a long time since I used it, but I think it
produces acceptable quality for what we can call the non-professional approach.

My take on this suggestion is that LibO does what it does well.  Production of
epub documents is a marginal requirement, which does not need to be addressed
with a built-in function.  Professionals won't use it, and non-professionals
are adequately served by the extension I mentioned - I believe there are now
several btw.

So the bottom line is that I vote against incorporating epub production into
LibO Writer.

Just my 2c

//James