Hi Simon,

Simon Phipps schreef:

> On 9 Jun 2011, at 19:47, Simon Brouwer wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I think it is high time that TDF be made a foundation proper.
>> Suppose Oracle had considered donating the OpenOffice.org trademarks and
>> copyrights to TDF. How could it be the recipient of such a donation if
>> it didn't exist as a legal entity?
>
> Really easily. Either the current legal entity by which TDF will be
> incorporated, Freies Office Deutschland eV, could accept the donation, or
> the US agent retained by them, Software in the Public Interest (SPI) could
> accept it on their behalf (as will still be the case once TDF is
> incorporated - TDF will not need a US subsidiary in order to accept
> donations, because of SPI).

I am not sure how much legal sense "accepting on behalf of TDF" makes as
long as TDF is not a legal entity. In any case the existing situation
makes matters complicated and unclear.

> Time for this "does not exist" meme to end, it is baseless and it is
> unhelpful to perpetuate it after so many people have explained that fact.

I am not saying TDF "does not exist", I'm pointing out that it is high
time it gets the firm legal status that it needs IMO. As the president of
a foundation myself I should have some idea what I'm talking about.

--
Vriendelijke groet,

Simon Brouwer
-*- nl.openoffice.org -*- http://www.opentaal.org -*-