On 5/30/24 14:25, Rich Pieri wrote:
They were adamant that there was something wrong with their
device, but we finally convinced them to replace the cable.

Yes, I have on occasion connected drives using a converter to connect old USB to USB-C, that doesn't make a tight connection, and with a little wiggle it disconnects. Good cables matter.

In this case I'm using those nice thick cables that came with the little portable WD drives I am using, short USB-C to USB-C, including using the converters that came with them to plug into an old type USB jack on the powered hub. To the connect to the Pi I use a longer, also heavy cable that I think came with the hub.

This hardware worked on my laptop, worked on PI 4 with slow USB, and currently works great on Pi 4 with Linux SW raid 1.

-kb