Firewalls seem like an ideal solution: a trusted network inside an effective firewall is free from the (not insignificant) overhead of security.

But firewalls aren't completely effective and are only one tool that we all use on a daily basis.

On 2024-08-01 21:46, Rich Pieri wrote:
On Thu, 1 Aug 2024 16:37:47 -0700
Kent Borg <kentb...@borg.org> wrote:

And all of that was built on the unquestioned assumption that
firewalls are how we keep our computing safe.
I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

Because we didn't have firewalls in the 1980s. The concept existed and
probably a few organizations had very basic (by contemporary standards)
firewalls to isolate things. But generally? Those 50K ARPANET nodes?
Almost all could connect directly to each other.

We didn't build an infrastructure that expected firewalls to protect
it. We built firewalls to protect the infrastructure that originally
didn't need protecting.