Yes,
I have struck both of these problems too.

WRT the first paragraph, we have had the same issue with 10.3.4 and 10.3.5
However, I am a little reserved about blaming authoxy as it does
seem to happen when the network connection is not
necessarily stable (read not unstable but say an Airport connection
that may not be strong enough) My suggestion to the students
was stablise the network connection - in their cases get a valid 172.16 dhcp
address - THEN start/stop/start authoxy. Seems to work fine.

WRT issue 2 - yes we too have had System Preference crashes as well
but not only with authoxy. I can occasionally freeze it when swapping
appleTalk connections from ethernet to airport - which is complains about
and the whole thing falls over. Also had it crash when trying to recover
the messages in authoxy. Suggest you cut back the message log and for
normal operations don't worry about the log anyway.

Regards,
Bruce.