I´m having a similar problem (I guess):

$("select#selectState").change(function(){
        $("select#selectSchool").load(url);
});

there´s 2 selectfields, the second one depends on the value chosen in
the first.
what´s being loaded is something like "<option value='xxx'>xxx</option>"

in firefox and safari it works - in IE 6 it doesn´t (if I load the
values without the html-markup I´m able to display them though).

any ideas?

thanks,
patrick