I wanted to try to use Prototype and jQuery together, also, but it didn't work out too well for me.

The main show stopper was that a lot of Prototype-based code will assume that the result of $() will be a DOM element.  With jQuery's $(), you will usually get a jQuery object back (so you can do all that cool method chaining).  Unfortunately, the methods and attributes of a jQuery object are not the same as the methods and attributes of a DOM element object, so you're screwed.

This was my experience pre-1.0, but I can't imagine the situation being very different now.  I don't want to have to make this conclusion, but it seems like Prototype and jQuery are fundamentally incompatible, because they both want $().

---

Now, it's quite possible that I'm doing something really stupid or overlooking something obvious.  If that's the case, I hope someone can clue me in.

(...and yes, I read http://jquery.com/docs/PrototypeAndJQuery/ .)