IMO, thats too restrictive. What, if the designer wants to have more than one
prev and next controls, ie. two above and two below the list?
What if he wants to use <button> elements or whatver instead if images (ok
john, you noticed that at the end of your posting)?

I also thought about passing the selectors for  buttons as options. But that
restricts setting up multiple (static) carousels with just one line of
jQuery('.jcarousel').jcarousel();

As it is now, you have many options to follow "progressive enhancement". You
can pre-format the markup with css or just hide it from browser without
javascript:

and you use

jQuery('.jcarousel').jcarousel().show();

(BTW, thats why i love jQuery so much :))