No dice John. I updated the xml response to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MyRoot><MyText>FooManchu</MyText></MyRoot>

and changed the .ajax call to this:

$.ajax({ type: "GET",
         url: "test.cfm",
         dataType: "xml",
         success: function(msg){ alert( "Data Saved: " + $( "MyText", msg
).text() ); }
});

and I get the same result. The alert window pops up but the text in the
child node "MyText" doesn't appear in the pop up.

Rey...