Kawikak,

Naturally I figured it out 15 minutes after posting :)

Option values was the key.  I was using old copied code that didn't even
specify values, e.g.

once I changed that to:
<OPTION value=AK>AK</OPTION><OPTION value=AL>AL</OPTION><OPTION
value=AR>AR</OPTION>

everything is now both hunky and dory.  And Matt's way (which I had also
tried before) works as well.

Final code:
        $("#zip").keyup(function(){
                if ($("#zip").val().length == 5) {
                        $("#state").attr("value","ME");

On to $.post to really process the ZIP code!

Thanks,
--DIZZLE