From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Alsup
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 6:22 AM
To: jQuery Discussion.
Subject: Re: [jQuery] Form plugin's serialize(): performance issues

> I agree with Brian about the need of a FastSerialize method.

Renato,

I've been benchmarking these serialize methods on a form with one select
element that has 2000 options.  Using the Firebug timer to capture
elapsed time for the serialize call I see negligible difference in your
impl and the one I posted on this thread.  The current impl in the form
plugin is noticeably slower.  Here's the
results:

Current form plugin - average over 10 calls: 850ms For-loop impl -
average over 10 calls: 337ms input,textarea,select impl - average over
10 calls: 379ms

Granted this is just one benchmark (in FF on windows), but I think the
for-loop impl holds up pretty well.

Mike Geary, I haven't yet implemented your outline.  I like it
stylistically, but I not expecting performance improvements.  Would you
agree or would you expect it to be faster than Renato's impl?

Mike