>>> John, these are great additions, but please be advised that in some
>>> browsers this.attr('checked', 'checked') won't work as expected.
>>
>> Do you know which browsers those are offhand? It'll help me to test
>> the methods, when I make them
>
> I think there are overall inconstencies. I put up a test page:
> http://stilbuero.de/demo/jquery/checkbox.html

Also notice that .innerHTML (and thus jQuery's .html() method) doesn't
always return the live checked state. In IE it tracks any dynamic changes to
the script, but in Firefox it only reflects the initial state from the
source. You can see the form text by putting this into the URL:

javascript:alert(document.getElementsByTagName("form")[0].innerHTML)