I'm currently trying to modify an ul-tree dynamically.

Moving elements up, down and left is working perfectly.

My problem is that, when moving elements right (iow creating a new ul as a
child to an existing li), the parent element is not expanding, so the newly
created ul is overlapping with other elements.

Just look at my example page:  http://xcite-online.de/tests/jquery1/
http://xcite-online.de/tests/jquery1/ .

The code is  http://snipplr.com/view/1649/jquery-and-uls-on-the-flow/ here ,
the important part is this:
$("../..",this).next().append("<ul class='sortable'><li
class='item'>foo</li></ul>");

Just look on my demo page to see how it looks like.

What I tried so far and what didn't work either:
- Wrapping all the [ul]s in divs
- Replacing all li and ul elements by divs
- Changing the css to position: none and then back to position: block
- changing the position css attribute to 'table-cell'