To all,

First of all: apologies for this non-jquery related question, but since there
are many experts in web-development on this list, I dare to ask it anyway.

Our company is looking for a way for 'quick' web-development. Small webapps
consisting of a few webpages with some minimal database interaction.

We currently develop everything in Java (including webapps), but I find the
whole cycle of developing, compiling (java class files, EJBs etc), deploying,
JNDI setup, db resource setup and recompilation (of the jsps) too heavy.
Additionally, for applications with a limited number of users (50 would be a
huge userbase in this case), I think that a clustered multitier application
server (our current deployment platform) is waaaayyyy too complex.

I would like to propose a (any?) scripting language as alternative.

Without making a choice for any language, I am looking for arguments why a
dynamic scripting language in general would be better.
Of course, I am also interested in language characteristics. I know PHP pretty
well, but the other languages are, from a technical point of view, unknown to
me.

If you feel that this is too off-topic to reply to the list, please reply to
my personal address!!!

Barry