From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chris W. Parker
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:39 AM
To: jQuery Discussion.
Subject: Re: [jQuery] MyDayLite (to-do list) release. All files
included.

Sorry for the long email but I enjoy thinking about and tweaking
interfaces to make them easier to use so that's why I seem to just go on
and on. If you're not interested in this kind of thing or take offense
with constructive criticism then you should probably stop reading now.
:)

On Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:37 PM Juha Suni <> said:

> I'm answering for Brian since I had pretty much the same questions
> when I started testing it. Found the answers and actually the user
> interface is really intuitive once you "get" it.

I wouldn't call it intuitive. It's not intuitive because the knowledge I
have about the interface when I first started using it wasn't enough to
actually use it fully. In this case the application should give hints
and/or instructions.

Having said all that, the interface is definitely cool and I understand
it's only at v0.2. I think Brian has made a really slick app so far with
some great ideas.

> 1. Changing the priority happens by just dragging the item up and
> down. Since they are ordered from high to low, the app knows how to
> set the new priority according to your drag. An if you drag a low
> item to between med and high items, it conveniently just asks you
> which one do you want the dragged item to be.

When you hover over these links for a sustained amount of time, or if
you click and don't move, it'd be good for a popup/tooltip to appear
that says, "Drag up or down to change priority."

> 2. The whole form doesn't disable. Using the checkboxes you can
> select items and then select a new lable for them from the top.

When you check a box for the first time it'd be good for a tooltip to
appear at the labels dropdown saying, "To change a task's label choose
one from the following list." This could use cookies so that it is only
shown once per computer/user.

> 3. There are small + and - links near the label, these can be used to
> create new lables or edit old ones.

This one is ok I think. But maybe a tighter visual relationship between
the dropdown and the +/- would be helpful.

> You can also create a new label
> quickly by typing out "MyNewLabelName>", or even create the todo-item
> for it at the same time using "MyNewLabelName->MyNewTodoItem". There
> is also a shortcut for setting the priority. Just type "med!" and it
> will change to medium.

This is cool but definitely not intuitive.

Again, upon first click in the task box a tooltip can appear that says
"This is where new tasks go. To add a new or already existing label,
type 'label> task'. To set a tasks priority type 'low!', 'med!', or
'high!'."

> 4. This was something I hadn't seen before and really intuitive. You
> do it like you would with a pen and paper. Try drawing a line on top
> of the item, from left to right. Yes, with your mouse - click'n'drag.
> To remove the line do it from right to left. Works amazingly well.

Yes this is very cool and a good idea, but definitely not intuitive.
When was the last time you performed this action to get the same results
in any other program? I don't have any ideas about how to give
instructions for this in a slick way but they should be there somewhere.

Alternatively:

1. For all these instructions, small boxes that span the width of the
application can be placed at either the top or bottom. Each box will be
about a specific part of the interface, will be a different color, and
have a small x at the top right. They'll all appear the first time the
page is loaded and stay present until the user clicks the x on each one
of them.

2. A tab can be placed somewhere, probably at the top, that says "How do
I use this?". When you hover over it a large tooltip can appear that
gives instructions for everything.

2a. Using an accordion animation, a div that has instructions can slide
open while pushing the entire app down the page).

So that's my .02 on that subject.

Again, good work Brian!

Chris.