Huh?  I only write xhtml and I've been using Firebug since it was
first available.  I've not had any problems.
Just a guess: But he is probably talking about XHTML served with the correct mime type. What you are doing probably ends up beeing HTML 4.01 tag soup that happens to look like XHTML ; ). I don't have a link right now, but there is plenty of information about this topic out there. The basic message is that an XHTML doctype does not cause (any) browser to render the contents of a page as XHTML. Only sending the correct mime type (via php or some other server side technology) does that. The reason very few people are doing this is that IE 6 (not sure about 7) does not support XHTML at all.

-- Felix
http://www.thinkingphp.org
http://www.fg-webdesign.de

Mike Alsup wrote:
I am happy to donate but will only really use it if it works with xhtml
which currently causes it to crash firefox