Thanks to all three of you for the responses :)

To explain a bit more about the extent of how I use
the sessions, the majority of why I use them is to
restrict access to certain areas. I have varying
levels of permissions on each user account, and do the
usual "check if they are logged in on each page"
scenario. In addition I allow selecting a "permanent"
skin choice, which I put into a session variable that
expires a zillion years in the future. There are a few
other optional flags that I need to know about on each
page, per user/session, for similar skin-type reasons
-- things that they have chosen not to see, how to see
it, etc.

I've also sometimes passed an object as a session
variable because I didn't want to have to deal with
the $_POST array, but that could very well be a
terrible coding choice.

Given those exact things, do you three (or anyone
else) have an opinion on which would be better in php
or jquery? The auth, at least, will need to be almost
everywhere.

thanks,
-kim

--- Olivier Percebois-Garve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>