I've spent the past few hours fighting with exactly this type of problem. My
problem is using $.post or a comparable $.ajax call. It seems like there's
something wrong with the object getting passed to the callback. Any attempts
at getting at the data seems to make things just hang, in that, the browser
still responds and all, but my debug output statements stop appearing. I
have a callback like:

function(data) {
 alert(data); // shows XMLSomethingOrOther
 $('success',data).text(); // or .children() or .size()
 alert('made it'); // this never happens
}

Even replacing the $(..) call with $(data).filter(...) hangs. What's really
strange is even doing data.firstChild hangs. The returned xml is like:
<success>foo</success>

So I'm trying switching over to html instead of xml. Now my data looks like:

Now my data is getting returned properly, I can do
$(...).size()/.childre()/.tex(), but $('.success', data).size() still equals
0. Argh.

I'm I doing something majorly wrong, or is this stuff just not quite up to
par? I'm using jq1.0.4 with ff2 on winxp with firebug 0.4.1. Firebug
verifies that all of my data is getting sent and received properly, and that
the mime types are all correct.

--Erik