I should have mentioned that I changed the HTML as well. I added an ID to the submit button (submit-member). Notice how the event is being triggered now: $('#submit-member').click(function() {...});

Since var username = $(this).prev().val() is appearing inside the click method, $(this) refers to the submit button, prev() refers to the previous sibling of that button, which should be the text input, and val() refers to the value of that text input.

Now I'm wondering, though, what you're trying to accomplish with the code. As Doug noted, it doesn't look like you really need a form at all to do what you're trying to do. But it's kind of hard to advise on that without knowing the larger context.

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com