> Perhaps a better option would be for the overlay to use the same
> background (image or colour) as the page? The effect would be the same
> as having a page with only the loading message on it.

I think that would be rather jarring visually.  The page should remain
visible, just not "usable".

> For general issues with alpha transparency performance could you have
> a timeout (something low like 150ms) that uses an opaque overlay as a
> fallback if it is exceeded while applying alpha transparency? You
> would then not need to do browser/OS detection (there may be cases
> where alpha transparency is fine in FF/Linux).

I think that's just getting too fancy for this plugin.  This is meant
to be a very low overhead solution and I'd like to get the size down
to 1K if possible.  I think adding a timeout unnecessarily complicate
things in this case.   So if you're running FF on Linux you don't get
alpha trans; that's not the end of the world.

For the same reason, I'm not going to work on supporting ghosting of
specific elements (instead of the whole page).  To me that adds very
little value and it's a rather unusual visual effect.  If you need to
have elements disabled you can do so manually with
$('.myStuff').attr('disabled',true);

Mike