It is possible to hide table rows, though I don't know about hiding them with
animations. We hide them all the time and we just hide and show it - works
fine. I haven't tried this since I switched to jquery (some of the old JS
code is still there) but I don't think there'd be any problem here either.
As I said though, I can't speak to any animations.