sorry ... not the smartest question. of course, one returns the
element, one returns the jquery object.

What I needed was $('#id').attr( { autocomplete : "off" } );

I still have a problem to set the focus though. There is no error shown for

$('#id').focus();

but the focus is not set ...

--
Daniel McBrearty