I am aware that there's a few modal window plugins for jQ -- here's some
in memory;
  Thickbox, Tweenbox, Greybox, and Gavin's jquery-modalcontent.

I figured we needed another one ;)

What I wanted was something extremely lightweight and flexible. jqModal
weighs in at a whopping 3.2k and has no dependencies. After the churn
through Dean's compressor (http://javascriptcompressor.com) it came to
2.2k (but there's a syntax error =[ ).

jqModal supports;
  + event preservation
  + CSS styled/positioned overlays and windows
  + multiple modal windows at once
  + ajax window content
  + inline window content
  + autofire, toggable overlays, some more...

[Plugin page]: http://dev.iceburg.net/jquery/jqModal/

  * Includes demonstration. Note; Examples are lacking aesthetic -- the
bling will come when I have more time // backport live designs into it.

This plugin is something I've just started working with, and I am very
interested in community comments. The default CSS has some
cross-platform issues -- IE fixed positioning, maybe more. I have to run
IE under wine so I'm not seeing any transparency... nor can be sure it
works. Safari untested. If anyone has any ideas on how to make the
source better, smaller, or more cross platform compatible,  please tell.

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend ;)

~ Brice