Thanks to both of you! :) this is exactly what I
needed.

Question 2: is there a way to pause the slidedown from
happening? I notice there's a pause() plugin, I dl'ed
that and attempted to chain it such as:

target.slideUp("slow", function() {

target.children("div.middle").html(stuff).pause(2000).slideDown("slow");
 });

But alas, no pause happened.

thanks,
-kim