Thanks for the response.  This is an accepted forum for jQuery plugins, and
the best way to find out if people are interested is to see the response to
messages like this.  Maybe it is only me :)

Why this?  Mostly because it feels more organized and fits with the general
syntax of other jquery plugins.  In short, it's "jQuery'ish" - to me at
least.

The flexibility to use a reg/ex or function for custom columns would be
great - I guess the question is how best to create the search fields in
those cases.  One of the great things about using most jquery plugins
though, is that they bottle up some of the most often used functionality
into simple declarations while giving you the ability to extend if you need
to.  Jorn's form validator is a great example.  He has validators for the
most common things you would find in form fields with an AddMethod method to
add your own validation types.  Date, integer, email, url, time, length,
numeric range, etc. are all built-in so even beginners can be off and
running very quickly. The "dirty work" is done behind the scenes like all of
the other jquery functions.

http://bassistance.de/jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-validation/