I already have a plugin - it contains the code I put in my first email.  I
just don't want to have to add that line or remember to remove it.  Adding
the function directly to jquery will not affect the file size significantly
and it will always be available.

If I ever decide to switch to safari or opera (not bloody likely) I'll add a
function that tests for the availability of a console.  Until then this
works for me.