On 13/03/2007, at 6:00 PM, John W wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Joel. The jdmenu (current beta version) is
> employing the
> bgiframe to compensate for this same issue. Basically you bind the
> bgiclass
> to an element like a div or in the case of an ordered list to the
> the UL
> tag.  It then applies an iframe only for IE6. I was able to make it
> work but
> it seems to really slow down the menu but I dont think Im
> implementing it
> right within the code. I really like your menu because its less
> code, its
> fast and smooth.

I just updated my dodgy test page (apologies for no good
documentation or proper demo page... one day) to include select
boxes. I implemented the bgiframe plugin and experimented a bit.
http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/

1. Fade animations do not work correctly in IE6 with bgiframe
attached, but slides do.

2. There was a lag when hovering li elements that contained a ul
(with iframe attached).

I have altered the superfish plugin so the defaults are now:
var defaults = {
        hoverClass      : "sfHover",
        delay           : 500,
        animation       : {opacity:"show"},
        speed           : "normal",
        bgiframe        : false
};

Notice the new bgiframe property. If you set that to true you must
also ensure that the bgiframe is available. Then I altered the "over"
function to include this line:

.each(function(){ if (o.bgiframe && $.browser.msie){ $(this).bgiframe
(); } })

...after finding the ul children. That made the lag (point "2" above)
disappear :) . You inspired that solution with your code earlier, so
thanks very much for that!

Here's the new code:
http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/superfish.js

Is this solution okay do you think? The fades still do not work but
it seems to degrade acceptably anyway. If you really need an
animation for IE6 you could use a fade and a slide (as I have done on
the updated test page) so that at least IE6 gets the slide.

Cheers
Joel.