From: Dav Clark <davcl...@gmail.com>
Reply to: discuss <discuss@lists.carpentries.org>
Date: Friday, 20 September 2019 at 17:07
To: discuss <discuss@lists.carpentries.org>
Subject: [discuss] Request: space for experimental summer data science workshop

Hi all,

As I've mentioned previously, I am working at Gigantum, where we're developing
an open-source Client and supporting cloud services that simplify and automate
open and transparent (i.e., "good") computational science practices. I'm
applying for a grant to do an initial "feasibility" trial of using Gigantum as
a ramp to teach computational science with the aim of softening the
transitioning into manual tools like GitHub and the command line *after*
students have a big picture understanding. In the process, we'll produce an
open (and de-identified) dataset that completely captures student's exploration
while using the Gigantum platform.

I'm writing to ask if anyone has a strong recommendation workshop site (ideally
including options for room and board). We want to keep costs manageable to
support 20+ students for under $50k, and we expect that a summer housing option
at a college is likely the best option. The workshop and subsequent activities
will ideally be adapted to be coherent with folks who work at / near the site -
we hope to have a partner who's interested in what we're doing! But again, to
be clear, right now we're just looking for pointers to the space to implement a
week-long workshop and approximate costs.

Thank you for your consideration!
Dav
The Carpentries<https://carpentries.topicbox.com/latest> / discuss / see
discussions<https://carpentries.topicbox.com/groups/discuss> +