"Volker A. Brandt" <v...@bb-c.de> wrote:

> Joerg Schilling writes:
> > I would be interested to understand why people these days still use
> > tcsh. Could you explain?
>
> - It works.
>
> - It has been working the same way since ~1985/86 when I started using
>   it (under ConvexOS).  Yes, it had a history editor then.

I am sing bsh since 1984, so:
true for my "bsh" as well, but tcsh had no editor in 1988 and I verified this
recently. The first tcsh source with editor I could find is from ~ 1989.

> - It's csh compatible.
>
> - No incompatibilities to itself;  I don't have to constantly check
>   if I am using tcsh 19xx or tcsh 20yy or...
>
> - BSD license.

Bosh is under CDDL and this avoids the GPL problem people have with bash.

> - It's everywhere in the BSD world, Mac OS X and Solaris ship it, too.
>
> - It's easy to build.

True for bosh as well.

I added features from csh to my bsh in 1984 because I was interested in a user
friendly interface for an interactive shell. I added the same features to the
Bourne Shell recently as I like to do this with a shell that matches the agreed
standard.

BTW: I believe that recent Bourne derived shells are closer to "C" than "csh".

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: