Aside from all the usual:

1. Ask for the references of people he has led. You might get someone to be
candid. It's tough though, as you know, most people are afraid of
consequences and will be circumspect -- and of course these are the
candidate's references so it's likely they will be fiends or very positive
co-workers.

2. Go out to lunch with the potential hire and include the person who would
be his or her boss. Then see what kind of dynamics you can observe. Oddly
enough, people who are great to me (a little too great) as their boss, are
often tyrants to those under their authority.

3. Trust your intuition. Usually if I feel there is something a bit odd
about someone, there usually is. Hard to present as a rational evaluation to
those making the decision however.

Unfortunately though, I think the age old trial and error method will be the
only way you'll find out. Assuming he or she has the technical
qualifications and experience you are looking for, and if he or she has good
enough people skills to have been in the lead position in previous
situations, chances are their skills will be good enough that they will
figure out how to give good answers/impressions through the interview
process about their leadership. Only time will reveal issues.

Joseph Selbie
Founder, CEO Tristream
Web Application Design
http://www.tristream.com